The Pembina County Clerk/Recorder is seeking to fill the position of Deputy Clerk/Recorder. The Deputy Clerk/Recorder assists in the duties of the Clerk / Recorder office. Facilitates and performs all functions necessary to file, record, monitor and maintain information related to real estate documents, and all court-related documents and transactions. Applicants must be able to work independently, communicate effectively with members of the public, prioritize importance of work, and meet deadlines in a timely manner. A complete job description and application is available on the Pembina County website. Full earning potential is $42,456 - $59,724/yr. Completed Pembina County application and resume must be received by 4:30 pm on June 2nd; all applicant information can be submitted to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301 Dakota Street W #1, Cavalier ND 58220
Assists in the in the duties of the Clerk / Recorder office. Facilitates and performs all functions necessary to file, record, monitor and maintain information related to real estate documents, and all court-related documents and transactions.
Essential Job Duties:
- Assist the elected official in the routine management of the office;
- Work with private citizens, professionals, federal and state offices, and businesses; provide necessary assistance in the office;
- Administer the office duties when elected official is out of the office;
- Perform all office work, in accordance with local and State policy/procedures and applicable laws;
- Case openings and filings; maintenance of recorder and court records, files and documents. Examples: deeds, mortgages, will filings, administrative traffic, civil filings, judgment records, criminal cases, probate files, restricted records, and information searches;
- Clerks at court appearances, hearings and trials. Preparation of court documents and correspondence. Recording and minute preparation concerning court hearings.
- Receipt and disburse funds, including filing and other county fees, criminal fines, fees, and costs, administrative traffic and restitution payments;
- Vital statistics data entry – processing and recording of marriage records;
- Process applications for marriage licenses and U.S. passports;
- Certify documents and records on file with the County Clerk / Recorder;
- Issuance of executions on judgments and issuance of subpoenas;
- Preparation of deposits, ledgers and administrative/agency reports; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Confidentiality – Must keep all office records private, except in the normal business of the office and customer request. By law, restricted records may not be disclosed. Confidential filings and hearings, which include juvenile, adoption, mental health, paternity, adult abuse, and social security numbers are closed to public inspection and those records must not be released, except as provided by law or Court rules.
- Mental Application – Knowledge of office policy and procedures must be applied to each situation and the individuals/entities being dealt with. Common sense is required. Must be meticulous about details.
- Responsibilities – Accuracy is crucial. Public and permanent records are being created that must be correct. Entries are made into state-wide databases. Land records must be accurate. Court records must be accurate.
- Contacts – Position involves contact with all types of individuals, courts, judges, lawyers, law enforcement agencies, administrative agencies, lenders, abstractors – along with the public and residents of Pembina County.
- Travel – Occasionally may be required for trainings, conferences, or meetings.
Job Qualifications, Experience, and Education:
- Education -- requires High School diploma or equivalency.
- Prefer 2+ years college and business experience.
- Experience – requires experience in an office setting. Prefer legal secretarial experience and knowledge in land descriptions, court procedures, and public relations.
- Abilities – requires typing, bookkeeping, ability to operate office equipment, personal relations skills, accuracy – meticulous about details; efficient, able to lift books up to 20 pounds on to a 6 foot high shelf.
- Prefer computer training, business experience, public relations and legal knowledge. Essential functions of the job – indexing – typing – ability to communicate in English Language – ability to lift at least 20#.
- Ability to effectively communicate using the English language in speaking and writing.
Working Conditions/Physical and Mental Demands:
- Physical environment consists of a desk job in the standard environment. Some travel may be required. Will include physical motions of sitting, reaching, minor lifting and finger dexterity for use of keyboard.
- Frequent use of PC keyboard and monitor and standard office equipment to include copier, calculator, fax, printers, scanners, telephone system, postage meter, adding machines, and court-recording equipment.