Pembina County State’s Attorney is seeking to fill the position of Legal Assistant. This position provides a wide range of support services to legal counsel in the County State’s Attorney’s office. Work is performed under the general direction of the State’s Attorney. Please view complete job description and required qualifications (provided below) before applying. Application can be found to the right. Completed application and resume must be returned to Pembina County State’s Attorney, 301 Dakota Street West #1, Cavalier ND 58222. Open until filled. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Equal Employment Opportunity: The State of North Dakota and this hiring agency do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, genetics, religion, age or disability in employment or the provisions of services and complies with the provisions of the North Dakota Human Rights Act. Salary depends on experience, with a typical hiring range of $2987- $3362 per month. The County offers a generous benefit package including but not limited to health, retirement, sick, and vacation.
Pembina County, North Dakota
Job Title: Legal Assistant Job Status: Full-Time
Classification: Legal Assistant FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Department: State’s Attorney
Reports to: State’s Attorney Date: April 2018
Nature of Work:
This position provides a wide range support services to legal counsel in the County State’s Attorney’s office. Work is performed under the general direction of the State’s Attorney.
Essential Functions of Work:
- Maintain and coordinate calendars (scheduling hearings, meetings, etc.)
- Receives and screens walk-in traffic and telephone calls.
- Compose and prepare legal documents, routine letters and memoranda.
- Provide notice to law enforcement officers in regard to upcoming hearings.
- Ensure that documents are accurate and in proper form.
- Maintain files and input, retrieve, update and delete information using computerized databases.
- Sort and distribute incoming mail.
- Assist in preparation of budget.
- Complete fingerprint records for the ND Criminal Records System.
- Assist with calendaring of hearings for victims/witnesses.
- Respond to inquiries on a variety of matters (such as status of pending cases).
- Maintain office equipment; purchase supplies as necessary.
- Perform other legal secretarial work as assigned.
Requirements of Work:
- Substantial knowledge of legal support work.
- Substantial knowledge of office procedures, practices, methods and equipment and software.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality in the handling of sensitive information.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors and the general public.
- Must be detail and multi-task oriented, able to prioritize importance of work, and meet deadlines in a timely manner.
- Ability to perform light physical work and to carry up to 30 pounds; the ability to stand, walk, sit, bend, twist, kneel and reach; the possession of hand/eye coordination sufficient to operate a personal computer and traditional office equipment; ability to talk and hear in person or by telephone; and the ability to see and read instructions and reports.
Required Minimum Training and Experience:
- Two (2) years of vocational or college-level coursework in legal support, preferably in pre-law or legal assistance. A paralegal degree or certified legal assistant will be preferred.
- Two (2) years of legal/administrative support experience.
- Four (4) years of experience in legal support work would substitute for college coursework.
This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be a complete list of all skills, duties, responsibilities, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reasonable outline of those principle job elements essential in maintaining positions within the State’s Attorney’s office. The job description is not a contract. The County reserves the right to modify job descriptions at any time.