Pembina County, ND

Pembina County, ND: Department Content


Home » County » Departments »

Employment Opportunities
These are the current job openings at the Pembina County Sheriff's Office. They would include Administrative, Law Enforcement, Dispatch, and Corrections positions.

Please see Employment Opportunities for available position information and application packet. Please submit Cover Letter, Resume, and Application to the Pembina County Sheriff's Office.


Sheriff's Fees FAQ
A list of fees by the Pembina County Sheriff's Office.

Drug Testing (for court ordered testing and others)

Preliminary Sample Screening: $20

Lab testing: $20

If you are currently taking any prescribed medication, please bring a copy of your prescription(s) with you to ensure any positive tests as a result of the use of legally prescribed medications are not used against you. Please notify the tester of any change in medications prescribed.


Civil Fees (NDCC 11-15-07)

Civil Process (Summons & Complaint, Small Claim Affidavit, Subpoena, etc): $20.00 per person/entity, plus mileage*

Levying or Executing any Writ: $40.00 per Levy or Writ, plus mileage*

Inquest to Appraise Goods and Chattels as required by Sheriff: $25.00, plus $100 per appraiser

Sheriff's Notice of Sale: $20.00 per ad, plus publishing fees

Sale of Real or Personal Property under Foreclosure of a Lien or Mortgage: $75.00, plus mileage*

Deed to Land sold on Execution or Sale Order: $20.00

Certificate of Redemption for property redeemed from Sale under Execution or Foreclosure: $20.00

Copies: $2.00 per page


*Mileage will be charged at $0.60 per mile (minimum charge of 20 miles/$12.00) per attempt (up to 3 attempts). Multiple services completed at the same address will only be charged mileage once per attempt.


~A statement of fees will be included with Sheriff's Returns.


Other Fees

Fingerprints: $10.00 per visit

Fireworks Retail License Permit: $20.00 per permit. See "Downloads" for application packet.

Dances: See "Downloads" for application packet and applicable fees.


Truck Regulatory
Pembina and Walsh County joint truck regulatory program.

The counties of Pembina and Walsh operate a joint truck regulatory program which focuses on the enforcement of size/weight limits on the county maintained roadways.  Deputy Sawyer Faltersack is the truck regulatory deputy and is deputized in both counties by Pembina County Sheriff Terry Meidinger and Walsh County Sheriff Ron Jurgens.  Deputy Faltersack is a fully licensed peace officer, so he can also enforce criminal and traffic law.

Deputy Faltersack has received field training by truck regulatory State Troopers.  Please be very aware of your truck's size and weight limitations.  These limits may vary depending on the time of year and the specific roadway being traveled.


Deputy Faltersack can be contacted by email at or by calling the following numbers:

Pembina County Sheriff's Office: 701-265-4122

Walsh County Sheriff's Office: 701-352-2041

Mission Statement

The mission of this department is to serve and protect persons and property of Pembina County.  The responsibilities associated with this mission are many.  They include enforcement of state and federal law, mantaining the peace and order of the county, protecting the property and personal safety of county residents, and generally assisting citizens in urgent situations.  In joining this department, employees make its responsibilities  their own.  They are expected to carry out these responsibilities diligently and courteously and to take pride in the services they provide.


The department protects the rights of all persons within its jurisdiction to be free from criminal attack, to be secure in their possessions, and to live in peace.  The department serves the people of the county by performing the law enforcement function in a professional manner and it is to these people that the department is ultimately responsible.

The current personnel of the Pembina County Sheriff's Department.

Terry Meidinger - Sheriff - Serving Since 1991

Marcus Ramsay - Chief Deputy - Serving Since 2011

Daniel Garvens - Sergeant - Serving Since 2008

Cory Mortensen - Sergeant - Serving Since 2016

Sawyer Faltersack - Deputy (Truck Reg) - Serving Since 2017

Douglas Hill - Deputy - Serving Since 2017

Patrick Swift - Deputy - Serving Since 2018

Casey Carver - Deputy - Serving Since 2019

Martin Burch - Deputy - Serving Since 2019


Samantha Diemert - Dispatch/Corrections Supervisor - Serving Since 2016

Richard Johnson - Dispatch/Corrections - Serving Since 2007

Brigetta Thebeau - Dispatch/Corrections - Serving Since 2018

Amy Briese - Dispatch/Corrections - Serving Since 2019

Calvin Cluchie - Corrections - Serving Since 2019

Julia Shirek - Corrections - Serving Since 2020

Kory Flaagan - Corrections - Serving Since 2020

Past Sheriffs
Pembina County is the oldest county government in North Dakota. Established in 1867, Pembina County originally included the entire Red River Valley from Canada to South Dakota. The original county seat was in Pembina, ND and is now in Cavalier. These are the past sheriffs who have served since 1867. Our first sheriff was William H. Moorhead, 1867-1870. Our current sheriff is Terry Meidinger.

William H. Moorhead     1867-1870

Henry McKinney            1871-1872

John Lennon                  1873-1874

Joseph Daniels              1875-1876

Charles J. Brown            1877-1884

John Kabernagle            1884

David Dick                      1885-1886

William James                1887-1890

Archie M. O'Connor        1891-1894

George H. McCabe         1895-1896

John E. Truemner           1897-1898

Fred J. Farrow                1899-1902

Charles Atkinson            1903-1906

George Roadhouse        1907-1910

Ike J. Foster                    1911-1914

Charles Atkinson             1915-1918

Ed Hamilton                     1919-1922

D.J. "Duffy" Larson          1923-1926

Ralph S. Campbell          1927-1930

Harold C. Well                 1931-1932

Archie B. O'Connor         1933-1936

Stone Hillman                  1937-1940

Loren Davey                    1941-1944

Fred O. Spangelo            1945-1948

Sam Samuelson              1949-1952

Fred O. Spangelo            1953-1958

Glenn E. Wells                 1959-1986

James J. Martindale        1987-2002

Wayne Samdahl              2002-2006

Brian W. Erovick              2007-2014

Terry Meidinger               2015-Present

Correctional Center
The new portion of the Pembina County Correctional Center was constructed in 1994. It is a certified Level II facility and has a capacity to hold 18 prisoners. The center includes a PSAP (dispatch) that serves Pembina County citizens 24 hrs/day.





Visitation is available everyday between 8am and 8pm, including weekends and holidays. There is no visitation during storm closures or when there is a No Travel Advisory in effect.


All visits will take place in the visitation booth and utilize the video visitation system on a first come, first serve basis. No ‘contact’ visits are allowed. Inmates are allowed one visitation session per day up to 30 minutes in length, but may be terminated by staff at any time for any reason. All parties must use the handset provided to communicate. Conversations may be monitored or recorded.


All visitors are subject to search. Visitors must show valid photo identification and check in with the jail staff prior to any visitation. Visits may be denied for any reason at any time.


Violation of visitation rules may result in immediate termination of the current visit and denial of future visitation.


Professional visitation (attorney, clergy, medical, etc.) will be permitted at reasonable hours, except during designated lockdown periods or facility emergencies. Professional visitation will take place in the jail library unless other arrangements have been made and approved by the Correctional Facility Administrator or Jail Supervisor. Only professional personnel will be permitted. Family members or other third-parties will not be permitted to visit during this time.



Inmates may receive mail through the United States Postal Service by addressing it to:

Inmate's Full Name

C/o Pembina County Sheriff's Office

308 Courthouse Dr #2

Cavalier, ND 58220


All letters, except for marked legal mail from an attorney's office, are subject to inspection prior to delivery to an inmate. Letters received after an inmate has been released or transferred will be returned to sender. If no return address is provided, the letter will be destroyed.



Money for inmates may be brought to the Pembina County Jail for use by inmates to purchase items from commissary. We can only accept cash for inmate commissary accounts (no checks, money orders, or debit/credit cards).


Personal items from outside the jail (including toiletries, clothing, books, games, etc.) are not permitted unless they are new in the original, unopened packaging, subject to the approval of the corrections staff. Contact corrections staff with questions on approved outside items.






We use the Reliance Telephone system for prisoner phone calls and texting. Phone cards may be purchased directly from Reliance and provided to an inmate if the inmate does not have enough commissary funds to purchase their own.


Inmates may also call collect if your phone line is set up to accept collect calls.


If you need to provide funds for phone cards or have other questions, you can learn how to use the system by calling Reliance Telephone at 800-896-3201 or by visiting their website:


INMATE VOICEMAIL: Corrections staff are not allowed to pass phone messages to an inmate. If you wish to leave a voice message for an inmate, you may call the inmate voicemail line at 701-922-0538 (new number January 2020) and follow the prompts to direct your message to the appropriate inmate.


UNWANTED CALLS/TEXTS: If you receive an unwanted call/text from an inmate in our facility, follow the prompts on the call to block the number or contact the Pembina County Jail at 701-265-4122 and provide your name and phone number and it will be blocked from being contacted for the duration of the inmate's stay.




What is PREA?

PREA stand for the Prison Rape Elimination Act, which was signed into law by President Bush on September 4, 2003. The final standards to implement PREA went into effect on August 20, 2012.


What is the purpose of PREA?

PREA is intended to address the detection, prevention, reduction and prosecution of sexual harassment and sexual assault in all correctional facilities in the country. It establishes a zero tolerance for sexual assault and harassment.


How to make a third-party report of sexual abuse or sexual harassment:

If you have knowledge of a sexual misconduct that has taken place with an inmate incarcerated at the Pembina County Correctional Facility, a report of the misconduct may be sent in writing or made by telephone to the Sheriff at the address/phone number listed below.


Inmates are encouraged to speak with officers, medical staff, case managers, volunteers, family members, friends or anyone who can assist them in reporting the sexual abuse or harassment. They can write memos, file grievances, or call Domestic Violence and Rape Crisis Center free of charge and on the inmate phone system.


Pembina County Sheriff Terry Meidinger

Pembina County Law Enforcement Center

308 Courthouse Drive #2

Cavalier, ND 58220

Phone: 701-265-4122

Fax: 701-265-3194



Pembina County PREA Policy

2019 Pembina County Sheriff’s Office Annual PREA Report

2017 Pembina County Sheriff’s Office PREA Audit Report


Social Services
Social Service Staff Listing


Social Service Staff Members:


Jill Denault, County Director III
Susan Fetsch-Crockett, Social Worker Supervisor
Michelle Manley, Social Worker III
Terri Machart, Social Worker III
Diana Laxdal, Parent Aide
Valorie Letkeman, Direct Care Associate
Lori Cantele, Direct Care Associate
Charity Stegman, Eligibility Worker I
Deb Hurtt, Eligibility Worker I
Diane Bjarnason, Eligibility Worker I
Social Services
Office Business Hours


8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday
Open during the lunch hour.
Social Services
ND Department of Human Services Phone Numbers


Department of Human Services Toll Free Numbers:
·        Main Switchboard:                         1-800-472-2622
·        Child Support                                  1-800-231-4255
·        SNAP / LIHEAP                                 1-800-755-2716
·        Medical Services                            1-800-755-2604
·        Aging Services                                1-855-462-5465
·        Children & Family Services          1-800-245-3736
·        Children’s Special Health Services 1-800-755-2714
·        Disability Services                          1-800-755-8529
·        Mental Health Services                  1-800-755-2719
·        Substance Abuse Services           1-800-642-6042
Social Services
Toll Free Numbers to Various Services
Child Support (ND) 1-800-755-2671
AIDS Hotline 1-800-472-2180
Alzheimer’s Association 1-800-438-4380
American Cancer Society 1-800-342-4535
American Heart Association 1-800-532-8688
Arthritis Foundation 1-800-437-5845
Ask-A-Nurse (24 hours) 1-800-552-0190
Better Hearing Institute 1-800-327-9355
Domestic Violence 1-800-472-2911
Epileptic Foundation 1-800-292-7932
Housing Discrimination 1-800-424-8590
Legal Aide of ND 1-800-634-5263
Mental Health Services 1-800-755-2719
Multiple Sclerosis Society 1-800-437-4757
Poison Control Ctr – Fargo 1-800-732-2200
Red Cross 1-800-252-6747
Senior Info Service 1-800-832-0120
Social Security Adm. 1-800-772-1213
Substance Abuse Services 1-800-642-6042
Suicide Prevention 1-800-472-2911


Social Services
Financial Assistance Programs
All financial programs are administered by Eligibility Workers.

The application for Financial Assistance Programs can be downloaded (or completed and printed) by clicking here: 

TANF (Temporary Aid for Needy Families)

Provides the basic minimums for food, clothing, and shelter for children who are deprived of those needs due to death, desertion, separation, or disability of one or both parents. Income and assets are considered for eligibility. Time limit of 60 months to received TANF benefits.


Provides education, training, child care, and incentives towards employment.


Formerly called Food Assistance and Food Stamps. This program is intended to assist individuals and families with the purchasing of food. Eligibility is based on income and assets.

Basic Care Assistance Program

Provides payment to a Basic Care Facility to supplement an individual’s income to meet the rate for “Basic Care” or “Rest Home Care.” Individuals must be eligible for Medicaid to receive Basic Care Assistance.

LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program)

Also called “Fuel Assistance” or “Heating Assistance.” Benefits are all Federal funds. The program is available from October 1st through May 31st each year. Eligibility is based on income and assets.
Application can be downloaded (or completed and printed) clicking here:


Also called Medical Assistance or referred to as MA. The purpose of this program is to provide assistance for persons whose income and resources are not sufficient to meet the cost of necessary medical expenses or long term care costs. Income and assets are considered for eligibility determination.

Child Care Assistance Program

This program provides assistance to low income families who are employed and/or a possibility of child care for those attending college to meet their child care expenses. Eligibility is based on the number of individuals in the household and the household’s monthly gross income.
Application can be downloaded (or completed and printed) clicking here:

Social Services
Homemaker / Personal Care Services
A Licensed Social Worker (Case Manager) is provided by the County to assist clients in accessing Homemaker and Personal Care Services. The Case Manager visits the client's home, conducts a comprehensive assessment of the client's overall functioning to determine appropriate services for the client, and monitors the client's condition and services.

Contact Person: Lynelle Fraser, Social Worker III

Case Management: A Licensed Social Worker (Case Manager) is provided by the County to assist clients in accessing Homemaker and Personal Care Services. The Case Manager visits the client’s home, conducts a comprehensive assessment of the client’s overall functioning to determine appropriate services for the client, and monitors the client’s condition and services.

Cost of Service: The cost of Homemaker, Personal Care Services, and Case Management Services varies with each person’s situation. Their liquid assets and monthly income, minus certain deductions, determine their fee, which is based on a sliding fee scale. For those clients who must pay a fee, Social Services sends a statement to them around the 10th of each month for the month that service were provided. There is no charge for the services of the Public Health Nurse in conjunction with supervising the In-Home Care Specialists in their provision of Personal Care Services.

Pembina County In-Home Care Specialists provide Homemaker and Personal Care services to enable elderly and disabled adults to remain in their own homes. These services are provided where no alternative services are available, if no relatives or friends are available, and if the help is needed on a regular basis, such as every other week, weekly, or up to three (3) times per week.

Homemaker Services:

Pembina County In-Home Care Specialists provide assistance with the following household tasks:

  • Light Housework: such as vacuuming, floor care, dusting, garbage removal, changing linens, etc.
  • Laundry: washing, drying, folding, ironing, mending, and related work.
  • Meal Preparation: planning, preparing, and serving the meal, as well as clean-up and dishwashing.
  • Shopping: for essential needs, such as groceries.
  • Money Management: assisting with budgeting and monthly bill-paying.
  • Communication: using the telephone, reading, and sending mail.

Personal Care Services:

Pembina County In-Home Care Specialists are able to assist with the following personal care tasks:

  • Bathing: bed, tub, shower, or bath.
  • Hair Care: bed or sink shampoo, set and comb hair, shave.
  • Teeth / Mouth / Denture Care
  • Dress / Undress: assist client in getting properly dressed or undressed.
  • Feeding / Eating: feeding a client who is unable to feed self, or assist client with routine regimen of eating.
  • Toileting / Continence: assist with routine regimen for toileting and care associated with incontinence.
  • Transfer in / out of bed or chair.
  • Turning / positioning client in bed.
  • Mobility (routine movement) inside home.
  • Eye Care: routine regimen of non-prescription eye drops, ointment, or eye pad.
  • Medication Assistance: limited to assisting client with self-administration of medications.
  • Skin Care: application of creams and lotions; treatment of minor skin problems.
  • Nail Care: routine finger nail care for homebound individuals (cannot cut toe nails).
  • Application of Antiembolic Stockings and Ace Wrap.
  • Care of Prosthetic, Orthotic, or Adaptive Device.
  • Temperature, Pulse, Respiration, and Blood Pressure.
  • Maintenance Exercises.
  • Assist Congnitively Impaired Client.
  • Other tasks that may be performed:
    • Ostomy Care (general maintenance)
    • Indwelling Bladder Catheter Care
    • Water Bath / Heat (whirlpool, etc.)
    • Postural / Bronchial Drainage
    • Bowel Program (suppository)

Department of Human Services Toll Free Numbers:

  • Main Switchboard: 1-800-472-2622
  • Child Support 1-800-231-4255
  • SNAP / LIHEAP 1-800-755-2716
  • Medical Services 1-800-755-2604
  • Aging Services 1-855-462-5465
  • Children & Family Services 1-800-245-3736
  • Children’s Special Health Services 1-800-755-2714
  • Disability Services 1-800-755-8529
  • Mental Health Services 1-800-755-2719
  • Substance Abuse Services 1-800-642-6042

Other Helpful Toll Free Numbers:

  • AIDS Hotline 1-800-472-2180
  • Alzheimer’s Association 1-800-438-4380
  • American Cancer Society 1-800-342-4535
  • American Heart Association 1-800-532-8688
  • Arthritis Foundation 1-800-437-5845
  • Ask-A-Nurse (24 hours) 1-800-552-0190
  • BCI Drug Hotline 1-800-472-2185
  • Better Hearing Institute 1-800-327-9355
  • Domestic Violence 1-800-472-2911
  • Drug Abuse Hotline 1-800-642-6042
  • Epileptic Foundation 1-800-292-7932
  • Farm Stress 1-800-642-4752
  • Housing Discrimination 1-800-424-8590
  • Legal Aid of North Dakota 1-800-634-5263
  • Mental Health Association 1-800-472-2911
  • Multiple Sclerosis Society 1-800-437-4757
  • Poison Control Center – Fargo 1-800-732-2200
  • Red Cross 1-800-832-0120
  • Social Security Administration 1-800-772-1213
  • Suicide Prevention 1-800-472-2911
  • Veteran’s Administration 1-800-827-1000

REV: 04-2010

Social Services
Social Service Programs
All Social Service Programs are administered by Licensed Social Workers or a designee.

Children’s Special Health Services:

Diagnostic services for treatment for children who have certain crippling conditions. There are income and resource maximums for eligibility.

Day Care Licensing:

Complete licensing for interested applicants.

Foster Care Licensing:

The provision of substitute parental care when children need to be removed from their home. Licensure is required.

  • What is Foster Care for children? Foster Care is a supportive service available to families experiencing problems. It is considered / available for a child when all other alternatives to out-of-home placement have been explored or tried.
  • What is Foster Care Placement? When it is not possible for a child to remain in his or her own family’s home, temporary alternative placement in a licensed foster home is an option considered. Foster Parents provide a nurturing and secure family environment until the child returns home.
  • How are Foster Parents selected? The child’s needs influence the foster home selected. Foster care is a service to children whose emotional, social, and physical needs are of utmost importance. The agency matches the child to the foster home and works with the foster child, the child’s parents, and the foster family to provide the best foster care experience possible in working towards early return to the child’s home, if that is the goal.
  • How long does a child stay in Foster Care? Length of stay in foster care varies depending on the case plan and ranged from brief emergency care to placement over a period o months, or to planned long-term foster care.
  • How do I become a Foster Parent? Licensure is required. The process involves making application to your local County Social Service office, a home study, fire and safety checks of the home, and references. There is no fee for licensure.
  • Will I be paid? The Foster Parents will receive a maintenance reimbursement for the care of the foster child depending upon the child’s age. Specialized payments are also made depending upon the needs of the child and the care/effort required.
  • Is there a need for Foster Homes in Pembina County? Y-E-S!

Parent Aide Services:

This program is to empower parents to more effectively parent their children. This service helps prevent out-of-home placements.

Prime Time Day Care:

The program provides child care for families in crisis. These services are intended to enable parents to attend parenting classes, therapy, or respite from parenting responsibilities.

Crossroads Program:

This program may be available to parents who are age 20 years or under, who are the primary caretaker of their child, and who are pursuing their high school diploma, alternative high school placement, or a GED program. Child care costs are paid for the child while the parent is attending school.

Subsidized Adoption:

Provides financial assistance to assure the adoption of children whose handicap, age, sibling group, or minority background might otherwise prevent their adoption,

Family Home Care:

Assists persons who are experiencing difficulty living independently and unable to provide for their own needs.

Child Protection Services:

Social Services in mandated by law to complete an assessment with regards to all alleged concerns our agency receives regarding children, ages 0-18, who are allegedly being neglected or abused that fall within the Child Abuse/Neglect Law. This assessment is completed by a licensed social worker to determine what, if any, services are needed to protect and promote the safety and well-being and permanence of children. All individuals making a report of concern regarding a child are protected by law and are kept confidential.

To report Child Abuse or Neglect, go to the following URL for the appropriate reporting form:

Supervision Guidelines:

The following information is reprinted verbatim from the Brochure entitled, “Home Alone – Is Your Child Ready?,” which is provided by the North Dakota Department of Human Services, Children & Family Services Division, Child Protection Services.

Is your child ready for self-care? There are both risks and opportunities associated with self-care. Parents need to carefully decide whether self-care is appropriate for their children.
Most parents are aware of threats from accidents, fire, or harm from strangers and make special efforts to deal with them. There are also dangers to children’s emotional well-being.
Children in self-care must deal with feelings of loneliness, boredom, fear, rejection, and insecurity. The increased responsibility for chores and caring for younger siblings may be more than a child is ready to handle.  Sometimes, older siblings physically or sexually abuse a younger child left in their care. Teenagers can turn their fear and loneliness inward, leading to depression. Experimenting with sex, drugs, tobacco, and alcohol are much more likely with teens in self-care. Peer pressure, too, can be a negative influence, which a child may not have the confidence to overcome.
When parents invest time and energy to make the right decision about self-care for their children, the potential benefits increase. Children can gain an increased sense of self-confidence, responsibility, and independence.
Who is responsible? The ultimate responsibility for the safety, care, well being and behavior of children remains with the parent or caregiver, whether they are there to personally supervise them or not.
What does the law say about child supervision? North Dakota does not have a law which provides an age when children can be left alone. However, guidelines have been developed by the Department of Human Services and are used by County Social Service Agencies in North Dakota.
What are the age guidelines? Children left home alone should be able to demonstrate knowledge of where their parents or other responsible adults are, how to reach them, and the length of time caregivers will be absent. Children should also know emergency procedures and arrangements for emergency situations.
·        Ages 0-4: The guidelines state that all children under age 4 years be in view of their caregiver at all times while outside of the home. Inside the home, the caregiver should be available and able to respond to the child to provide immediate care and protection from harm. Children of this age should not be left in vehicles unless they are in proper restraints (unable to put the vehicle into gear) and in direct view of the caregiver at all times.
·        Ages 4-17: Children 8 years and under should be supervised at all times with a caregiver available. An 8 year old should not be left in charge of other children.
Children who are 9 years old should not be left unsupervised for periods of greater than two hours during the daytime. A child of this age should not be unsupervised at night and should not supervise other children.
Children who are 10 and 11 years old may be left alone for longer periods of time. However, caution is advised in leaving a child unsupervised during sleeping hours. Children this age should not be responsible for younger children.
Children who are the age of 12 years and older may be permitted to act as babysitters. It is recommended that they successfully complete an approved child care training course.
Caution is advised on the number of children left in care, length of time for caregiving responsibility, factors regarding special needs of children left in care and resources available to the child providing care.
·        Teens: Children under age 15 years of age should be attended overnight. Caution should be taken in leaving 15-17 year olds alone overnight. Extended absences of caregivers (such as over a weekend) are not recommended.
Is age the only factor to consider? The age of the child is not the only factor that should be considered when children are left alone. Other factors include:
·        The maturity of the child.
·        Emotional health factors.
·        The child’s physical or mental limitations.
·        Length of time alone.
·        Time of day or night.
·        Other children present to be supervised.
·        Location and environmental conditions.
·        Frequency of being left alone.
·        The accessibility of a parent or other.
Using the guidelines and other factors mentioned … consider the following Questions & Tips:
·        How does your child feel about the situation?
·        Look at the child’s age in relationship to growth, behavior, and judgment.
·        What are the responsibilities your child will be left with?
·        Will the child be able to handle those responsibilities?
·        How long will the child be left alone? The first few times should be quite short. You will be able to stay away longer once the child is confident about safety.
·        What are the safety risks if your child is alone? (fires, accidents, burglaries, etc.)
·        Can your child say no to peer pressure if friends encourage the child to break rules in your absence?
Safety Tips to consider:
·        Encourage the child to discuss feelings about being alone. If a child seems afraid, help her to talk about it and help her feel safe. Establish ground rules. This avoids confusion about what you expect and adds to the child’s own sense of security. Careful planning can help insure physical safety and emotional well-being for your child.
·        Remove fire hazards and install smoke detectors. Hold fire drills with each child “practicing” what to do and where to go in case of fire.
·        Teach children basic first aid and have a first aid kit available.
·        Have children practice emergency (911) calls with you, giving their full address and directions if necessary.
·        Review safety rules such as not playing with matches, knives, and scissors.
·        Teach children when and if to answer the door and phone. Warn children to never let strangers into the house.
·        Instruct children to never tell callers that they are alone. They should say that the parent is busy and offer to take a message. If a call seems suspicious, they should call you or another adult. 
·        Have a clear understanding about use of ovens, stoves, and other appliances.
·        Provide projects and materials, as well as juice and nutritious snacks.
·        Set up an emergency plan with a relative, friend, or neighbor who may be unable to care for your child, but who would be willing to be called by the child for advice or reassurance in “small emergencies” when you are unavailable by phone.
·        When you leave, post your house address and important phone numbers near the telephone.
·        Establish a daily routine in which your child calls you or a designated person when she arrives home.
·        If your child comes home after school, give her keys and perhaps an attractive key chain. The keys should be carried out of sight so that the child isn’t easily identified as one on her own.
·        Arrange some after school activities such as clubs, scouts, sports or the library. If you need help with transportation, arrange to trade weekend driving or child care with other parents.
·        When you return home, praise your child for doing a good job. You may be pleasantly surprised at how readily and how well your child assumes responsibility when fully prepared and given the opportunity.
·        For more information, please call your local County Social Service Agency.
Tax Equalization
Assessment Process
The property tax is an ad valorem tax, that is, a tax based upon value. It's the primary means by which local government pays for services it provides, such as police and fire protection, schools, roads, parks, courts, etc. It involves two separate functions, the assessment function and the budget function. After these functions are completed, the county auditor calculates the appropriate mill rate and that rate is applied to each taxable property to determine the property tax.

Assessment Process

The property tax is an ad valorem tax, that is, a tax based upon value. It's the primary means by which local government pays for services it provides, such as police and fire protection, schools, roads, parks, courts, etc. It involves two separate functions, the assessment function and the budget function. After these functions are completed, the county auditor calculates the appropriate mill rate and that rate is applied to each taxable property to determine the property tax.

The assessor is responsible for discovering, listing and valuing all taxable property. All real property is subject to taxation, unless expressly exempted by law. All property is valued according to its value on February 1 st of each year. All real property is valued at True and Full Value. For residential and commercial property, this equals market value. For agricultural value, it equals its productivity value as defined by North Dakota statute.

The assessor must notify property owners when the valuation increases more than 15% and more than $3,000 True and Full Value. In April of each year, the assessor's assessments are reviewed by the city or township boards of equalization. Within the first ten (10) days of June, the county reviews the assessments of cities and townships. During August of each year, the State Board of Equalization reviews the assessments as finalized by the various counties.

The assessor, by the fair and accurate valuation of property, ensures that everyone shares equitably in the total burden of property taxation.